Timeline
09.18.19-12.11.19
12 weeks
Course
ID Senior Studio 1
Dan Harel
Team
Aurora Prosch Newman
Charles Troncone
Kim Hoang
JiSeon Lee
Theo Wang
Stakeholders
Milwaukee Tool
Rochester Institute of Technology
My Role
Industrial Design
Project Overview
We set out to design a new package system for the Milwaukee Tool ShockWave 45 piece driver bit set. The goal was to add value to the product and packaging by improving the user experience. Mainly in buying, storage, use, and end of life.

We delivered on a few key considerations. In the end, our product increased in value to the customer, was more economical to produce, and more environmentally considerate than the previous packaging. We kept our product consistent with brand appearance, and made sure it was smaller than the current size while maintaining the same function. We're particularly proud of two features, the new and easy way to open clamshell packaging, and the pop-up bit shelfs. Overall, we improved the user experience, cut costs, and reduced environmental impact.
Prototyping: Physical
Starting with lots of research, a phone, and some skateboard parts, we created our first few prototypes. The goal was to try and match how it would feel to move through the game. At this point, it was most important to have something to internally test on so that we could continue building the game software.

We then created a nicer wooden mockup of the board apparatus and added safety bars. It's a custom, longer deck shaped in the CyberSurfer style, and uses ergonomics to help with comfort and grip. This prototype uses the correct software pieces as well and no longer has a phone attached. With the added safety and better in-game feel we began to do user testing.

The board is undergoing even more testing and changes now.  Production of the very first consumer version is currently the primary goal.
Research
A big focus of this project was the packaging, so to begin our research, we went to multiple retailers to see how brands marketed their sets, as well as actually picking up a few to test. We noted features that we liked and disliked, and also asked others to test the different bit cases. We gathered their feedback, and we're able to rule out certain features that seemed unwanted, and had new actionable items (the good features,) to inspire us. We then made a few user personas based off people we interviewed.
User Persona
Ideation
In the ideation phase, we began with very rough sketches and explored similar forms. Ultamitely, deciding on a "calculator style" sliding case that we all enjoyed in school (shout-out Texas Instruments,) we started drawing up how it would work. We eventually figured out a great way to angle the bits to help users grab them easily. We found a front and center logo on a clear cover allowed users to see inside the case while still knowing the brand. The rest of the case being Milwaukee Tool's primary red.
Development
In this stage my focus was on the outer two cases and developing a working 3- printed prototype. After finding a lot of users only use a handful of the bits they purchase, we decided on a two case system that is attachable and detachable. The small case allows for a quicker and easier carry option for those who want to hang onto just a few bits throughout their work. The larger case holds all the other bits and also has a locking mechanism (the "M" logo for the small case to be attached too.
Final Prototype and Graphic Mockups
Our final prototype was made with ABS plastic and holds all the necessary bits for Milwaukee's 45-piece bit-set. Along with the physical prototype, we created graphic mockups and prototypes of the packaging labels.
Deliverables: Video & Process Book